“Freedom Center @ North Terminal Now Open!”
The Metro Airport North Freedom Center has opened, at gate D-17. The hours of operation, however, are limited due to a lack of volunteers! We need you! You get free parking at the airport (handy when you go on vacation) and a chance to serve the troops as they pass thru. To volunteer visit the Freedom Center website and go to volunteer.
“Free Legal Services”
The Legal Aid & Defender Association, Inc., is hosting numerous (17 to be exact) free legal clinics (priority for vets) in both Oakland & Macomb counties for the next 6 months, all starting at 10AM. See Oakland flyer for those dates & locations. Macomb flyer for their dates & locations. More info at 877-964-4700 in Oakland County, 586-465-1344 in Macomb.
“VA Golden Age Games coming to Detroit”
The VA Golden Age Games are coming to Detroit in July 2016. This will be open to all veterans that are enrolled in the VA Health System. To get a sneak peek see early flyer or visit their new website!
“Thursday, December 31, 2015”
Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting a New Year’s Eve party at the post, 24222 W 9 Mile, Southfield, starting at 8:30PM, with dinner at 9:30 followed by dancing, etc. Cost is $30 per person, $50 per couple, and includes swiss steak or chicken breast, potatoes, carrots, etc. RSVP by phone at 248-971-5844. For complete menu and events scheduled see flyer.
“Thursday, December 31, 2015”
DAV Chapter 129, located at 47326 Dequindre, Shelby Twp, is hosting a New Year’s Eve Charity Ball to benefit Operation Yellow Ribbon. Dinner packages range from $65 to $90 per person which includes drink tickets. Theme will be Big Band Era Swing. For more info call Peggy at 248-425-2722 or see flyer..
“Wednesday, January 6, 2016”
The Yankee Air Museum, located at the Willow Run Airport, is hosting another in their free lecture series, in the General Purpose Room starting at 7PM, Today’s presentation will be a history of Willow Run Airport by Bruce Haviland who worked for Delta at the airport.
“Thursday, January 14, 2016”
The Virtual Center of Excellence is hosting a Veterans Mental Health First Aid Training seminar at their location, 36300 Warren Rd, Westland, from 8:30 till 4:30PM, with lunch provided. This is a free program and very informative so for a complete description on what is covered and who should attend see attached flyer.
“Friday, January 15, 2016”
Autumn Woods Health Care is hosting a Bowling Fund Raiser for Vets Returning Home at Bonanza Bowling Alley, 24600 Hoover, Warren, starting at 6:15PM. Cost is $15 at the door and includes bowling, shoes, pop, & pizza. For more info call Kim at 586-996-0445 or see flyer.
And from our friends at the VFW:
- December 28th, Monday 6:15 p.m. – Bruce Post 1146 St. Clair Shores – “MONDAY BINGO”. Doors Open at 5:00 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:15 p.m. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Sponsored by Dad Club #193. BRUCE POST 1146 is located at 28404 Jefferson Avenue in St. Clair Shores. Just North of 11 Mile Road.
- December 30th, Wednesday 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – VFW 1669 Royal Oak – “TACO/NACHO NITE”. Build your own Tacos for $1.50 or 3 for $4.00 or 4 for $5.00. $3.00 for Small Nachos. $5.00 for Large Nachos. $1 Beer. 8 hours of Free Jukebox. Post 1669 is located at 214 E. Fourth Street in Downtown Royal Oak 48067. Phone (248) 541-9846.
- December 31st, Thursday – “NEW YEAR’S EVE”.
- December 31st, Thursday – VFW 2645 Southfield – “NEW YEAR’S EVE PARTY”. Southfield VFW Post 2645 is hosting a New Year’s Eve Party at the Post, 24222 W 9 Mile, Southfield, starting at 8:30PM, with dinner at 9:30 followed by dancing, etc. Cost is $30 per person, $50 per couple, and includes Swiss steak or chicken breast, potatoes, carrots, etc. RSVP by phone at 248-971-5844.
- January 1st, Friday – “HAPPY NEW YEAR”.
January 3rd, Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon – VFW 7573 New Baltimore – “BIG BREAKFAST”. Includes Eggs and Omelets to Order, Scrambled Eggs, French Toast, Homemade Gravy, Biscuits, Bacon, Sausage, and Potatoes. Minimum donation of $6 per person. Children 10 and Under $2. WW II VETERANS eat “FREE”! Great Breakfast! Awesome price! OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Invite your Family & Friends. Post 7573 is located at 35011 23 Mile Road in New Baltimore